Cricket Australia lays off staff over virus shutdown

Loading

“Cricket Australia is in talks with players’ representatives over their pay. ©AFP” /> Sydney (AFP) – Cricket Australia has announced it is laying off most of its administrative staff and will run a skeleton operation until at least mid-year due to COVID-19’s impact on the game. The governing body informed the majority of staffers on Thursday that from April 27 they would have to remain home on reduced pay — reportedly 20 percent of their regular salary — until June 30 at the earliest. With international and domestic cricket postponed…

What now for cricket in 2020?

Loading

“Universe Boss: Gayle was hoping to play at the T20 World Cup this year, but the tournament may have to be postponed until 2021. ©AFP” /> Paris (AFP) – The West Indies have been one of the weakest of the Test nations in the last 10 years, with troubles behind the scenes and rows over players’ pay often proving costly for a talented side on the pitch. But they have still produced two memorable World T20 triumphs, in 2012 and 2016, but now may have to wait to defend their…

New South African cricket boss Smith rules De Kock out of Test captaincy

Loading

“Graeme Smith played 117 Test matches. ©AFP” /> Johannesburg (AFP) – Former Test skipper Graeme Smith was on Friday confirmed as South Africa’s director of cricket –- and revealed that Quinton de Kock would not be elevated to the Test captaincy. Jacques Faul, acting chief executive of Cricket South Africa, said Smith had been appointed for a two-year term, expiring at the end of March 2022.Smith was appointed in an acting capacity last December. Smith, 39, captained South Africa in a world record 108 Test matches and in 149 one-day…

Cricket chiefs ‘exploring all options’ over T20 World Cup

Loading

“West Indies won the 2016 World Twenty20 in India. ©AFP” /> London (AFP) – The International Cricket Council has played down speculation this year’s T20 World Cup in Australia could be pushed back to 2021 but admitted it was “exploring all options”. Australia is due to stage the global tournament from October 18 until November 15 but the coronavirus pandemic has already created havoc for international sport and more events could suffer. The ICC has time on its side and is preparing to stick to its schedule but plans could…

Indian cricket board indefinitely suspends lucrative Twenty20 IPL

Loading

“The Board of Control for Cricket in India has indefinitely suspended the lucrative Indian Premier Leaguebecause of the coronavirus. ©AFP” /> New Delhi (AFP) – The world’s richest cricket tournament, the Indian Premier League, has been indefinitely suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic, officials confirmed Thursday. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said the Twenty20 competition, already pushed back from its original start date of March 29, “will only commence when it is safe and appropriate to do so”. “The health and safety of the nation and…

Virus terminates Watling, Maxwell and Faulkner’s Lancs cricket stints

Loading

“. ©AFP” /> London (AFP) – New Zealand’s BJ Watling and Australia’s Glenn Maxwell and James Faulkner will no longer play for Lancashire this season because of the impact of the coronavirus, the English county said Friday. Cricket fixtures in England have been cancelled until May 28 due to the pandemic, with further delays likely given the British government’s announcement Thursday of a further three weeks of lockdown. New Zealand wicketkeeper/batsman Watling was signed for the opening nine County Championship games whilst Maxwell and Faulkner would have played for Lancashire…

CCUSA hosts a successful webinar

Loading

MARGATE/FL – USA: Cricket Council USA in collaboration with CARE/ACT hosted a very successful web seminar on Monday based on sporting bodies staying afloat during this COVID 19 Pandemic. The seminar which was initiated by the chairman and CEO of CCUSA Mahammad Qureshi involved an audience from around the world and the feedback that came to the sporting body was that is was very useful and more of this is needed to help other sporting association chart a way forward in these choppy waters. President of the T&T Cricket Board…

Michael Atherton on this week’s PCB Podcast

Loading

Discusses relationship with Pakistan, journey from England captain to a respected journalist and evolution of the new media The exclusive interview can be downloaded from here for editorial purposes only Urdu version of the media release is attached here Lahore, 11 April 2020: Michael Atherton is one of the most respected and decorated England cricketers who played 115 Tests and 54 ODIs from 1989 to 2001. He now enjoys a successful career as a broadcaster with Sky Sports and a journalist with The Times as their chief cricket correspondent. Atherton visited Pakistan early last month, before the Covid-19…

IPL awaits Indian government verdict on lockdown extension

Loading

“BCCI president Sourav Ganguly, shown here in Kolkata on November 20, 2019, said life has “come to a standstill”. ©AFP” /> New Delhi (AFP) – The fate of this year’s Indian Premier League rests in the hands of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the country’s cricket board said Monday. The world’s richest Twenty20 tournament has been postponed until Wednesday, which coincides with the end of India’s 21-day nationwide shutdown to halt the spread of the pandemic. Modi will address the nation Tuesday and is expected to extend the curfew for another…

Don’t write off Dhoni, he still has plenty to offer: Hussain

Loading

“Comeback bid: Mahendra Singh Dhoni. ©AFP” /> New Delhi (AFP) – Former England captain Nasser Hussain has backed veteran Mahendra Singh Dhoni to make an international comeback despite growing uncertainty over the start of the Indian Premier League. The 38-year-old Dhoni has not appeared for club or country since playing for India in last year’s 50-over World Cup and the nationwide coronavirus lockdown is limiting his chances of getting back in the side with the IPL likely to be truncated or cancelled. There has been speculation that Dhoni might retire…