Du Plessis quit as captain after one of his career’s ‘toughest’ seasons

Loading

“Faf du Plessis has played 65 Tests for South Africa since his debut in 2012. ©AFP” /> Cape Town (AFP) – Former South African captain Faf du Plessis said on Monday he remained committed to the national team despite standing down from the role after one of his most challenging campaigns. In a pre-recorded interview released by Cricket South Africa, 35-year-old Du Plessis revealed some of the thinking behind his decision to give up the position in February. He also said the decision to rest him from most of the…

Pakistan’s Akhtar says would coach any nation — even arch-rivals India

Loading

“Akhtar was known as the Rawalpindi Express in his playing days. ©AFP” /> New Delhi (AFP) – Former Pakistan cricketer Shoaib Akhtar said he is ready to coach fast bowlers from any country — even if an offer from arch-rivals India came his way. In an interview with a social networking platform, the 44-year-old paceman said he wants to help produce aggressive and fast bowlers who can take on opposition batsmen no matter which country they come from. When the presenter for the Helo app said India, Akhtar replied: “I…

England’s Stokes runs half marathon for NHS charities

Loading

“England’s Ben Stokes has run a half marathon for NHS charities. ©AFP” /> London (AFP) – England all rounder Ben Stokes has run his first half marathon to raise money for Britain’s National Health Service. World Cup winner Stokes completed the run in one hour and 39 minutes and will donate the money raised to NHS Charities Together and national children’s cricket charity Chance to Shine amid the coronavirus pandemic. Stokes, who completed the run near his home in the North-East of England, urged fans to donate to a fundraising…

UK to pilot coronavirus contact tracing smartphone app

Loading

After the pilot of the “test, track and trace procedures” on the island, the app is expected to be made more widely available to the British public later this month.(AP file photo) COURTESY BY: https://www.hindustantimes.com/ The UK government on Monday announced that after hitting its testing target for coronavirus of over 100,000 tests daily, it will now be moving into the track and trace phase of its fight against the deadly virus, which has claimed 28,734 lives across hospitals and the wider community in the country. UK Health Secretary Matt…

Delhi slaps ‘special corona fee’ on alcohol as Covid-19 cases near 5,000 mark

Loading

People stand in a queue to buy alcohol after authorities allowed opening of wines shops with certain restrictions during ongoing Covid-19 nationwide lockdown at Krishna Nagar in East Delhi. (PTI Photo) COURTESY BY: https://www.hindustantimes.com/ Delhi registered another big spike of 349 new cases of Covid-19 that took the national capital’s tally to 4,898, the health department said in a statement Monday night. There are 3,403 active cases while 1,431 people have recovered from Covid-19. There was no casualty in the last 24 hours which remained at 64. Late Monday night,…

In Pakistan’s new script for terrorism in Kashmir, Handwara is the key

Loading

Army personnel in Jaipur wearing face masks as a precaution against Covid -19 infection seen in the procession carrying the body of Colonel Ashutosh Sharma who was killed in an encounter with militants in Jammu and Kashmir’s Handwara. (Himanshu Vyas/HT Photo) COURTESY BY: https://www.hindustantimes.com/ A second face-off between security forces and terrorists, not far from the Handwara house in north Kashmir where a bloody firefight killed 5 soldiers, appears to be part of a Pakistan attempt to rewrite the script for terrorism in Kashmir, a top security official told Hindustan…

India bowler Shami considered suicide before comeback

Loading

“India’s Mohammed Shami re-established himself as a key player at last year’s World Cup. ©AFP” /> New Delhi (AFP) – India fast bowler Mohammed Shami has revealed how he thought of committing suicide while struggling with personal problems before making a spectacular comeback to the national side. Shami battled weight issues, injury and a legal quarrel with his estranged wife before a stellar performance at the World Cup last year re-established the 29-year-old as a key player. With cricket and sports halted in the coronavirus lockdown, Shami opened up about…

Iran says US push to extend Tehran’s arms embargo is ‘illegitimate’

Loading

President Donald Trump’s administration has been taking a harder line with the United Nations over its desire to extend and strengthen the embargo on Iran.(REUTERS) COURTESY BY: https://www.hindustantimes.com/ Iran dismissed as “illegitimate” efforts by the United States to extend the U.N. Security Council arms embargo on Tehran, an Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Monday. “Iran is not seeking to exit the 2015 nuclear deal with six powers … America’s move is illegitimate and our reaction will be proportionate,” Abbas Mousavi said in a televised weekly news conference. The United…

EU warns against suspension of children vaccination amid Covid-19 pandemic

Loading

Andrea Ammon, director European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control warned that some countries in Europe have suspended all vaccinations during the epidemic.(Reuters file photo. Representative image) COURTESY BY: https://www.hindustantimes.com/ The European Union warned on Monday that decisions by some European countries to suspend vaccination of children during the coronavirus epidemic could cause serious problems. “It is very clear we will get pockets of people, children, who have not been vaccinated,” Andrea Ammon, director of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), told EU lawmakers. She said most…

US has very ‘conclusive’ report on Covid-19’s China origins, says Trump

Loading

U.S. President Donald Trump listens during a Fox News town hall at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., U.S., on Sunday, May 3, 2020. (Bloomberg) COURTESY BY: https://www.hindustantimes.com/ President Donald Trump promised a “conclusive” report from the U.S. government on the Chinese origins of the coronavirus outbreak, adding that he has little doubt that Beijing misled the world about the scale and risk of the disease before it became a global pandemic. “We will be giving a very strong report on what we think happened, and I think it will…