Edgbaston to be converted into temporary coronavirus testing station

Loading

COURTESY BY: https://www.cricingif.com/ The Edgbaston ground in Birmingham will serve as a drive-through test centre for the National Health Service (NHS) staff to detect the novel coronavirus. The stadium’s car park has been donated to the NHS workers by Warwickshire County Cricket as the UK government desperately tries to increase the testing capacity for the lethal virus. NHS staff have been at the forefront by treating infected patients with several fundraising initiatives undertaken by prominent personalities to help the medical personnel. “Warwickshire CCC has donated Edgbaston to the Department of…

England’s cricketers agree to make an initial donation of £500,000

Loading

COURTESY BY: https://www.cricingif.com/ England’s cricketers have agreed to make an ‘initial donation’ of £500,000 ($612,000) in response to the financial crisis caused by coronavirus pandemic. The statement was issued on Friday by the Professional Cricketers’ Association, the players’ union. Few days back, England and Wales Cricket Board chief executive Tom Harrison had volunteered to take a 25 percent pay cut. The ECB on Tuesday had unveiled £61 million ($76 million) aid package in response COVID-19 pandemic, which has forced the start of the English season delayed until May 28. It has also raised…

Ex-Pakistan cricket great Miandad says spot-fixers should be hanged

Loading

“Javed Miandad, who scored Pakistan’s second-highest Test runs with 8832, has condemned those that match-fix. ©AFP” /> Karachi (AFP) – Cricketers involved in match fixing should be hanged, former Pakistan batting great Javed Miandad suggested Friday. Match-fixing and spot-fixing — determining the outcome of a specific part of a game rather than the overall result — have stained the country’s sport for several years. “Players who are involved in spot-fixing should be severely punished,” Miandad, who scored Pakistan’s second-highest Test runs with 8832, said on his YouTube channel. “Spot-fixers should…

Pressure grows for shortened IPL behind closed doors

Loading

“Fans wave national flags during last year’s Indian Premier League final in Hyderabad. ©AFP” /> New Delhi (AFP) – Players are putting pressure on cricket authorities to plan a shortened Twenty20 Indian Premier League later in the year to “kickstart” the sports economy after the coronavirus lockdown. The world’s richest cricket tournament has been postponed until April 15, which coincides with the end of India’s 21 day nationwide shutdown to halt the spread of the pandemic. But with the number of cases and deaths rising and India isolated from international…

Everyone’s still really keen for the IPL to go ahead, says Pat Cummins

Loading

COURTESY BY: https://www.cricingif.com/ Pat Cummins hopes the Indian Premier League (IPL) would go ahead as planned despite the current circumstances painting a grim picture of the fate of the competition. The COVID-19 lockdowns in various parts of the globe have already affected the IPL with the start of the marquee event being pushed to April 15. Although the prospects appear thin, even if the tournament commences on the stipulated date, the clashes could take place behind closed doors while doubts linger over the participation of Australian players, who may not be able to…

English cricket chief takes 25 percent pay cut in virus response

Loading

“England’s World Cup winning captain Eoin Morgan said he was ‘open to absolutely everything’ to help in response the coronavirus crisis. ©AFP” /> London (AFP) – England and Wales Cricket Board chief executive Tom Harrison “volunteered” on Wednesday to take the same 25 per cent pay cut as other employees in the face of the coronavirus pandemic. On Tuesday, when Harrison unveiled the ECB’s £61 million ($76 million) aid package in response to the “once in a generation” challenge of COVID-19 he said he would take a pay cut. On…

Indian cricketers face backlash for supporting Pakistan virus fund

Loading

“Indian cricketer Yuvraj Singh was strongly criticised on Twitter. ©AFP” /> New Delhi (AFP) – Indian cricketers Yuvraj Singh and Harbhajan Singh have unleashed a social media storm by backing former Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi’s foundation in its fight against the coronavirus pandemic. The two countries are bitter rivals and the move touched a raw nerve in India. Afridi’s appeal for donations to help people affected by the deadly virus in Pakistan has had overwhelming support from leading cricketers. Harbhajan urged people to contribute in a video message, and called…

Asia’s biggest tournament likely to be cancelled

Loading

COURTESY BY: https://cricflare.com/ The corona virus outbreak has sent shock waves throughout the world, cancelling every sporting event in its path. The Cricket season has been hit hard by the pandemic and it looks like the game is going to suffer even more in the coming months. The Asia Cup which is scheduled to take place in September this year before the T20 World Cup in Australia, now looks doubtful. The tournament is scheduled to be played in a T20 format so that the Asian teams could get good preparation…

DJ Bravo releases new song “We’re not giving up” on coronavirus

Loading

COURTESY BY: https://cricflare.com/ West Indian allrounder and part-time DJ, Dwayne Bravo has released a new song on coronavirus titled “We’re not giving up”. It is to be known that the coronavirus has brought the whole world to standstill. From educational institutes to restaurants, from sports events to music festivals, everything in the world has been brought to a halt as this life-threatening disease leaves people in fear and distress. Most governments around the world are imposing lockdowns in their respective regions to try and stop the spread of the highly…

ECB considers installing coronavirus checkpoints in stadiums

Loading

COURTESY BY: https://www.cricingif.com/ English cricket chiefs are mulling over the possibility of recommencing games behind closed doors with the facilities of coronavirus checkpoints and isolation units at grounds. The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) had earlier announced that the domestic season would be delayed to May 28 in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. The United Kingdom government has imposed a nationwide lockdown to curb the spread of the disease but the ECB is keen to kick-start professional cricket in the absence of spectators. England’s international summer starts with…