![]()
COURTESY BY: https://www.hindustantimes.com/
The United States is imposing visa restrictions on current and former Chinese officials responsible for âevisceratingâ the freedoms of Hong Kong citizens, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Friday, signalling that the US would continue to tighten controls vis-a-vis the Chinese government officials. The move coincides with an intensified US rhetoric against China in the midst of Trumpâs re-election campaign, in which opinion polls have shown voters increasingly embittered toward Beijing, especially over the coronavirus that began from Chinaâs Wuhan.
âI am announcing visa restrictions on current and former CCP (Communist Party of China) officials who are believed to be responsible for, or complicit in, undermining Hong Kongâs high degree of autonomy, as guaranteed in the 1984 Sino-British Joint Declaration, or undermining human rights and fundamental freedoms in Hong Kong,â Pompeo said in a statement Friday.
Pompeo said family members of such persons may also be subject to these restrictions.
Fridayâs restrictions come just days after US President Donald Trump signed off on a legislation that cleared the path for imposing sanctions against senior Chinese officials for gross human rights violations of Uyghur minority groups in Chinaâs restive Muslim-majority Xinjiang region.
On Twitter, Pompeo counted the visa restrictions as one of the steps to punish CCP officials âresponsible for eviscerating Hong Kongâs freedomsâ that had been promised by President Trump.
President @realDonaldTrump promised to punish the CCP officials responsible for eviscerating Hong Kongâs freedoms. Today, we are taking action to do just thatâ we've announced visa restrictions on CCP officials responsible for undermining Hong Kongâs autonomy and human rights.
— Secretary Pompeo (@SecPompeo) June 26, 2020
President Trump had earlier promised sanctions against Chinese and Hong Kong officials âdirectly or indirectly involvedâ in eroding Hong Kongâs autonomy.âOur actions will be strong. Our actions will be meaningful,â Trump said in May.
âToday, we are taking action to do just thatâ weâve announced visa restrictions on CCP officials responsible for undermining Hong Kongâs autonomy and human rights,â Pompeo tweeted on Friday.
News agency Bloomberg said Fridayâs move comes amid worsening ties between the worldâs two biggest economies. Despite meetings that Pompeo held with his Chinese counterpart in Hawaii last week, relations remain soured over issues from Chinaâs handling of the coronavirus to its move to enact legislation restricting Hong Kong and its treatment of ethnic minorities in Xinjiang province.
The hard push comes in response to moves by China to impose a new national security legislation that would undermine Hong Kongâs autonomy and put pressure on local officials to jail pro-democracy activists and bar them from contesting elections.
Last month, US President Trump initiated the process to eliminate special economic treatment that allowed Hong Kong to remain a global financial center.




